herald

Monday 25 September 2017

Musician will face trial charged with sex assault on fan

A MUSICIAN accused of sexually assaulting a female fan after a gig to celebrate American Independence Day has been sent forward for trial.

It has been alleged that the 23-year-old musician was caught in the act of assaulting the young woman when a female garda nearby heard her cries for help.

The man has strongly denied the accusation, and is facing trial by judge and jury in the Circuit Court. The accused, with addresses in Clonee and Rathmines, appeared before Tallaght District Court charged with sexually assaulting the female in Tallaght on July 5, 2009.

Judge McDonnell had previously accepted jurisdiction after hearing a summary of the alleged facts. The DPP had directed summary disposal in the District Court on a guilty plea only.

However, solicitor Padraig O'Donovan had said his client was pleading not guilty.

State Solicitor Karen Wilson said the book of evidence was ready and had been served on the defendant, who goes forward to the next sittings of Dublin Circuit Court.

In relation to the allegation, the court heard there was a music festival celebrating July 4 in a Tallaght restaurant.

It will be alleged that the victim was attending the event and the defendant was a member of one of the bands.

At 3am, both parties left the venue and it will be alleged the accused started to kiss the female and then assault her. The female, who is in her teens, shouted "help" and these cries were heard by a passing garda.

It will be alleged that she saw the victim with her trousers around her knees while the man was on top of her with his trousers around his ankles.

The State said there was no objection to bail and the defendant was remanded on bail in his own bond.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News