Murder accused 'tried to urinate on hands before gun test'
The trial of a 33-year-old man accused of murder with a shotgun has heard that he tried to urinate on his hands before gardai tested them for firearms residue.
Gda Aaron Hoey was giving evidence at the Central Criminal Court in the trial of Sean Ducque, who is charged with murdering Kieran Farrelly (33) in Dublin.
The father-of-one, of no fixed abode, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Farrelly on October 26, 2014, at Killarney Court, Killarney Street.
However, he has admitted through his barrister that he "fired two shots from a shotgun, later found on Mabbot Lane, which killed Kieran Farrelly".
Gda Hoey told Dominic McGinn, prosecuting, that authorisation was given to take forensic samples from the accused during his detention the following day.
"I believe there were bags placed on his hands," he said, adding that this was to preserve any firearms residue, which can be removed by friction, including hand washing.
"I was informed that Sean Ducque had tried to urinate on his hands, remove the bags and remove the residue from his hands," he said.
He said he decided that the quicker the samples could be taken, the better.
"Mr Ducque was very unco-operative at the time. Four members had to restrain him while I carried it out," Gda Hoey said.
"He kicked, spat, physically broke a table in the interview room."
However, the officer managed to obtain the samples.
He agreed with Hugh O'Keeffe, defending, that this was during a period of time when his client had been deemed medically unfit for interview.
He also agreed that the accused was co-operative when he took other samples from him a number of hours later.
Forensic scientist Dr John O'Shaughnessy examined the jacket Mr Ducque was wearing when arrested that morning.
"I found firearms residue," he said.
He added that it was similar to the residue from the discharged shotgun cartridge found at the scene.
"The jacket provides strong support for the view that Sean Ducque discharged the shotgun in this instance," he said.
The prosecution has now closed its case and the trial will continue on Monday before Mr Justice Paul Butler and a jury of six men and six women.