Mobster Walsh guilty of sex attack on child
TRIAL: Brute convicted of assault on seven-year-old girl
ARCH criminal and child rapist Stephen 'Rossi' Walsh has been convicted of indecently assaulting a seven-year-old girl.
Walsh, who is serving a ten- year sentence for raping a nine- year-old girl, was found guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court of simulating sex on a seven-year-old girl over 20 years ago.
The 63-year-old was found guilty by the jury following just over three hours of deliberation on two charges of indecent assault against the child on dates between May and September 1988. Walsh indicated that he intended to appeal the conviction as soon as possible.
Walsh, formerly of Belgrave Road, Rathgar, but who gave his address as "The Irish Republic", represented himself throughout the three-day trial and had pleas of not guilty entered on his behalf after he refused to take part in the arraignment process while the jury was being sworn in.
Judge Patrick McCartan thanked the jury of eight men and four women for their attention to the case and remanded Walsh in custody until his sentence date on November 18.
The now 29-year-old victim told Tara Burns, prosecuting, that on two occasions when she visited Walsh's home he made her lie face down on a bed with a pillow under her stomach. She said the accused lay on top of her and moved "as if he was having sex" and she heard moaning noises.
The woman said she had seen Walsh again several years ago while visiting a friend. She said they had walked past each other and when she went inside her friend's house, she vomited.
Walsh, who became notorious in the 1980s for racketeering, asked her why it had taken her so long to come forward.
She replied: "Because I was ashamed, you hurt me and when you tell people you have to deal with it."
She later said: "I was ashamed. I felt dirty and ashamed."
During his defence Walsh challenged the procedures surrounding his detention and charge.
He claimed there had been adverse pre-trial publicity.