Man who broke garda's nose with headbutt said it was 'worth the charge'
A DUBLIN man who broke a garda's nose with a headbutt, despite a warning that he was being recorded on CCTV, said "it will be worth the charge."
Jonathan Conway (33) had been arrested for an alleged robbery when he attacked the officer in a city garda station.
Judge Aingeal Ni Chonduin described him as a "nightmare on the streets" and jailed him for eight months.
Conway, of Fortlawn Avenue, Blanchardstown, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Garda Sean Burns at Store Street Station on July 13, 2013.
Garda Vincent Campbell told Dublin District Court officers responded to a call that a woman was allegedly being robbed at at ATM.
The accused had allegedly pinned her against the machine and taken €50 from her.
When taken to the station, he told Garda Burns to get his hands off him "or I'll stick my head in you."
He was told he was in an area of the station where audio and video was being recorded and he replied: "It will be worth the charge."
He then headbutted Garda Burns on the left side of his face and mouth, breaking his nose.
A medical report showed that a consultant had carried out a procedure on the garda's nose and there were no long-term effects from the injury.
Conway also admitted public order offences outside the Pro Cathedral on Marlborough Street on February 22 last.
Garda Shona Moran said Conway was standing outside with a cup in his hand begging from people going to Mass.
They were intimidated by Conway, who became aggressive toward Garda Moran and gave her a false name.
In another incident, he was caught illegally carrying a screwdriver, scissors and Stanley blade in Sandyford. He damaged a garda station door after his arrest.
The court heard he had 96 prior convictions for offences including robbery.