Man on sex assault charges must stay away
A YOUNG man accused of sexually assaulting a woman twice within 24 hours has been warned to keep away from her.
The alleged victim has also been told that she must not contact the defendant, either by phone or text.
The 21-year-old man, who cannot be named to protect his victim, appeared before Tallaght District Court charged with two counts of sexual assault, contrary to Section 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape Amendment) Act, 1990.
The alleged sexual assaults took place at the defendant's home in west Dublin on October 26 last year.
He is facing trial by judge and jury in the Circuit Court after the charges were deemed to be too serious for the District Court. The State solicitor said the book of evidence was ready, and had been served on the man, who goes forward to the present sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
Defence solicitor Padraig O'Donovan and one junior counsel were assigned on free legal aid.
Judge James McDonnell gave the man the alibi caution, telling him he has 14 days to provide to the State details of anyone he plans to call in his defence.
The defendant was remanded on bail in his own bond of €300 with an independent surety of €500 from his father.
Judge McDonnell ordered that the defendant have no contact, either directly or indirectly, with the alleged victim, her family and her home.
Mr O'Donovan asked that this condition be made reciprocal, and said the alleged victim must also respect the terms of the defendant's bail, and not contact him.
The State solicitor said gardai would speak to the alleged victim, and warn her that she was to not to contact the defendant.