herald

Thursday 17 August 2017

Man charged over Jonny knife attack

Jonny Cooper
Jonny Cooper

A 31-year-old Mayo man has been charged in connection with a knife attack on Dublin GAA star Jonny Cooper last month.

The 24-year-old was rushed to the Mater Hospital and required stitches following a stabbing in the early hours of September 20, at Dorset Street Upper, in Dublin 7.

Yesterday, Mark Lavelle, originally from Bollingbrook, Swinford in Co. Mayo but with an address on Basin Street, Dublin 8, appeared at Cloverhill District Court.

He is charged with assault causing harm to the Dublin and Na Fianna footballer.

Mountjoy Garda Les O'Rourke told Judge Victor Blake that he arrested the accused yesterday morning at the court.

The court heard that when charged and cautioned, Mr Lavelle replied, "I don't remember anything, the Government took my medical card, I was without my medication."

Defence counsel John Cleary told Judge Blake that a bail application was not being made at this point. He said he needed to examine psychiatric reports on Mr Lavelle and he had to take instructions.

The reports did not mention a fitness to plead issue, the court also heard.

Gda O'Rourke said directions from the DPP have to be obtained and time was also needed to prepare a book of evidence.

Judge Blake remanded Mr Lavelle in custody to appear again next Friday when a bail application is to be made.

Free legal aid was granted to the unemployed accused, who has not yet entered a plea to the charge.

A decision has also to be made on whether the case will be dealt with at district court level or instead be sent forward to the Circuit Court which can, on conviction, impose lengthier sentences.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News