herald

Saturday 19 August 2017

Man accused of sister sex assaults set to face trial

'Michael Durkan, prosecuting, said a book of evidence had been served on the accused' (stock photo)
'Michael Durkan, prosecuting, said a book of evidence had been served on the accused' (stock photo)

A Dublin man accused of repeatedly sexually assaulting his sister more than 20 years ago has been sent for trial.

The 39-year-old was served with a book of evidence when he appeared on bail before Blanchardstown District Court.

He is charged with 28 counts of sexually assaulting a female on dates between 1991 and 1998.

The alleged offences all took place at a house in west Dublin.

Michael Durkan, prosecuting, said a book of evidence had been served on the accused.

He now goes forward to the present sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Complexity

Judge David McHugh gave the accused the formal alibi caution.

Michael Finucane, defending, and one junior counsel were assigned on legal aid.

Mr Finucane applied for a senior counsel, saying that their expertise was required owing to the complexity and historical nature of the allegations.

Mr Durkan accepted that it was a "complex case" and Judge McHugh assigned a senior counsel on free legal aid.

The judge further ordered that a video copy of an interview which gardai conducted with the accused be provided to his legal team.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News