herald

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Judges throw out bid to have Thompson murder rap dropped

Frederick Thompson
Frederick Thompson

The Special Criminal Court has refused to drop a murder charge against Frederick 'Freddie' Thompson.

The 36-year-old is accused of killing father-of-one David Douglas (55) in Dublin on July 1 last year.

Mr Douglas, of Killala Road, Cabra, was shot several times outside a shop owned by his wife, Yumei, in Bridgefoot Street.

Hospital

The former zookeeper was taken to St James's Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.

Mr Thompson, of Loreto Road, Maryland, has not yet entered a plea and applied to the non-jury court to dismiss the murder charge.

The court last month heard submissions from his barrister, Michael O'Higgins, under Section 4E of the Criminal Justice Act 1999. Sean Gillane made submissions for the prosecution.

Ms Justice Isobel Kennedy, presiding, said yesterday morning that the three-judge court had refused the application because it was satisfied that there was enough evidence to put Mr Thompson on trial.

Mr Thompson was arrested on November 1 and detained at Kilmainham Garda Station.

At his first hearing, Detective Inspector Paul Cleary gave evidence that "in reply to the charge after caution he said 'no comment".

Evidence

Bail cannot be considered in murder cases and the defendant will have to make an application to the High Court to get released pending trial.

A book of evidence has yet to be completed and served.

In April, State solicitor Elaine Fitzmaurice told the court that the Director of Public Prosecutions was applying for an order to have Mr Thompson tried at the Special Criminal Court.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt, presiding, made the order.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News