herald

Tuesday 6 December 2016

Hubby-to-be hit man in row over fiancee

The court heard Mr Byrne had contacted Mr Slevin's then fiancee, now wife, via social media, and the defendant had been unhappy about this.
The court heard Mr Byrne had contacted Mr Slevin's then fiancee, now wife, via social media, and the defendant had been unhappy about this.

A husband-to-be punched another man in the face five times after the man contacted his fiancee via social media.

Shane Slevin (31) left the victim, William Byrne, with a black eye and bruising to the face following the roadside assault.

Slevin initially contacted Mr Byrne via mobile phone, asking him to meet him at a golf course so they could "sort things out".

When Mr Byrne did not show up, the defendant went to his home and assaulted him.

Judge Anne Watkin ordered Slevin to donate €300 to the victim and to enter into a 12-month probation bond.

The defendant, of Holly Court in Ballybrack, admitted before Dun Laoghaire District Court to seriously assaulting William Byrne at Willow Vale in Ballybrack on January 31, 2015.

Garda Conor Casey said Slevin punched the victim five times in the face, leaving him with a black eye and some facial cuts and bruising.

The court heard Mr Byrne had contacted Mr Slevin's then fiancee, now wife, via social media, and the defendant had been unhappy about this.

Defence barrister Kim Moloney said Slevin, who has no previous convictions, was sorry for his behaviour and had apologised to the victim.

He had also attended anger management classes after his partner told him his behaviour was unacceptable. Ms Moloney said Slevin is now married with two children.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News