herald

Monday 22 December 2014

Gay hate attack suspect seeks bail

A YOUTH suspected of taking part in a gay-hate attack in Dublin city centre is planning to make a fresh attempt to get out on bail, a judge heard yesterday.

The 16-year-old has been detained since Monday when he appeared at Dublin Children's Court charged with assault causing harm to a man and robbing him of a watch worth €1,800, two phones and €300.

The alleged incident happened in Crampton Court, Dublin 2, last month.

Yesterday, the boy appeared again at the juvenile court where Judge John O'Connor was told it would take six weeks to get the directions as to whether the case should go to the Circuit Court which has tougher sentencing powers.

STAMPED

The boy, who is not Irish, was accompanied to the hearing by his mother and his lawyer and had the proceedings translated by an interpreter. He was further remanded in custody to appear again in two weeks' time.

Judge O'Connor also heard yesterday that the boy has instructed his lawyers to take his case to the High Court next week in a fresh bid to be granted bail.

The court heard claims that the teenager knocked the man to the ground and "stamped" on his head before robbing him. In an objection to bail, the court also heard he had told gardai that he hated members of the gay community.

HNEWS@HERALD.IE

Promoted articles

Promoted articles

Opinion

Entertainment News