herald

Thursday 23 February 2017

Former councillor pays €300 over 'drunken' threats

Former Dublin City councillor Killian Forde
Former Dublin City councillor Killian Forde

A former Dublin City councillor who made 40 threatening phone calls of "vile personal abuse" to a man over the course of six hours has paid €300 to charity at a Tallaght Court.

Killian Forde (46) has until the end of January to come up with another €400.

Forde made the phone calls to Paddy Banks, who was a member of the board of the Integration Centre at the time of the incident.

The court heard that Forde told Mr Banks that he "would be got".

Mr Banks had described the calls as "vile personal abuse".

Forde was a councillor with Sinn Fein from 2004 to 2010, before switching to Labour.

He resigned his seat in 2011 when he was made chief executive of the Integration Centre.

The court had heard that on October 7, 2014, Forde made a number of threatening and intimidating calls.

The calls were described as "drunken gibberish" and the court was told the injured party had not felt threatened.

Redundant

Forde had been chief executive of the Integration Centre at the time of the incident.

A colleague had been made redundant by Mr Banks, before later being reinstated.

The calls took place between 12.25am and 6am and Forde said he had been intoxicated at the time.

Forde, with addresses at Cardonagh Park, Donaghmede, and Sutton Park, Sutton, had admitted to making a hoax telephone call to an address at Homelawn Drive, Tallaght.

He was before Judge Patricia McNamara for payment of €700 to charity.

"It was said to me I would be got and I would pay for what I did. He did not appear to me to be intoxicated," Mr Banks said when giving his victim impact statement two weeks ago.

"I will not accept an apology from Mr Forde. I would regard it as an empty formula. I have been deeply offended as to how I have been treated," he added.

Forde's defence lawyer, George Burns, said the defendant had €300 and asked the judge to put the case back to after January 16, when he would have the remaining €400.

The judge adjourned the case to the end of January.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News