herald

Sunday 11 December 2016

Finance worker faces trial in male rape case

A bank worker is facing charges of male rape which allegedly took place over a three-year period (stock picture)
A bank worker is facing charges of male rape which allegedly took place over a three-year period (stock picture)

A bank worker charged with repeatedly raping a young male has been sent forward for trial.

The accused, who is in his 30s, replied "it's not true" after he was charged.

He is facing 32 counts of oral and anal rape which allegedly took place over a three-year period.

The accused has been ordered to stay away from the alleged victim for the duration of the trial.

He appeared before Tallaght District Court charged with 32 counts of oral and anal rape which allegedly took place on dates between July 2003 and June 2006.

Sgt Seamus Palmer said that after charge, the man said: "It's not true".

Passport

A state solicitor said the book of evidence was ready and had been served on the accused, who goes forward to the present sittings of the Central Criminal Court.

As part of his bail conditions, the man has surrendered his passport. He must sign on at his local garda station and have no contact with the alleged victim.

Judge John Lindsay gave him the formal alibi caution. He also ordered that a video of an interview that gardai conducted with the accused be furnished to his legal team.

Defence solicitor Maura Hurley as well as one junior and one senior counsel were assigned on legal aid.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News