herald

Sunday 22 October 2017

Face of dad who is charged with luring boy (12)

Married father-of-three Michael Davis (51), from Kilkenny, who has been charged with sexual exploitation of a child
Married father-of-three Michael Davis (51), from Kilkenny, who has been charged with sexual exploitation of a child

This is the married father-of-three accused of luring a boy from a Luas stop to a hotel and offering the 12-year-old €50 to touch him.

Michael Davis (51) is alleged to have asked the boy for directions at a tram stop in west Dublin before bringing him to a room in a nearby hotel.

He is facing trial on a sexual exploitation charge and can now be named after a judge ruled there was no evidence of any risk he would not get a fair trial.

Last week, Judge David McHugh rejected a defence request for a ban on naming Mr Davis but put a six-day stay on the order.

The judge said Mr Davis could be named as long as it did not lead to the identification of the alleged victim.

His defence had asked for Mr Davis to remain anonymous, arguing there was a risk he would not get a fair trial.

Yesterday, Judge McHugh granted no further stay on the order when the case came before Blanchardstown District Court.

Defence solicitor John O'Doherty said he had no further instructions and solicitor Kieran Kelly said he was representing Independent News and Media.

"I am satisfied that there is insufficient evidence before the court that would entitle me to take the view that the identification of the accused would lead to a real risk of an unfair trial," the judge said.

He made no further order in the case.

Mr Davis, from Shortallstown, Dunnamaggin, Co Kilkenny, is on bail pending his trial.

Arrested

He is charged with sexually exploiting a child at the Citywest Hotel, Saggart, on October 20, 2016.

Mr Davis was not required to be present in court yesterday and has not yet indicated how he intends to plead.

Last week, a State solicitor told Judge McHugh that the book of evidence was ready and the Director of Public Prosecutions was seeking a return for trial to the next sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

The book was then served on Mr Davis.

Judge McHugh gave him the formal notice that he must provide any alibi details to the prosecution within 14 days.

He also ordered disclosure of the defendant's garda interview video to his lawyers.

Mr Davis was remanded on bail on existing terms and conditions to appear in the circuit court on October 20.

When he first appeared in court in June, Detective Garda Kate Flood told the judge that she had arrested Mr Davis at his home address that morning and taken him to Clondalkin Garda Station, where he was charged.

The officer told Judge McHugh she was objecting to bail owing to the seriousness of the alleged offence.

She said it would be alleged that the boy was approached at a west Dublin Luas stop by the accused, who asked him for directions to a nearby hotel.

Det Gda Flood added that the court would hear that the man offered to show the boy his hotel room and they went together to the room.

Holiday

She said it would be further alleged that, when they got to the room, the man offered €50 to the 12-year-old if he touched him.

She said the boy left the room and contacted gardai.

Det Gda Flood said that later that night the man spoke to three gardai and said the boy had wanted to see the room because he heard someone famous had stayed there.

Previously, Mr Davis's bail conditions were adjusted to enable him to go on a family holiday.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News