herald

Saturday 10 December 2016

Emotional scenes as EpiPen inquiry thrown out

Emma Sloan, who went into anaphylactic shock and died
Emma Sloan, who went into anaphylactic shock and died

There were emotional scenes yesterday as the disciplinary proceedings against a pharmacist were dismissed.

The Pharmaceutical Society inquiry into pharmacist David Murphy, who was facing an allegation of poor professional performance, was concluded yesterday after the charge against him was dismissed by the inquiry committee due to lack of evidence.

Upon the committee's ruling, Caroline Sloan, mother of teenager Emma Sloan, who died on O'Connell Street in December 2013, was visibly distraught.

The Fitness to Practice inquiry was looking into events prior to the death of the teen from Drimnagh.

Emma (14) died after going into anaphylactic shock. She had mistakenly eaten satay sauce at a Chinese restaurant in the city on December 19, 2013.

Once Emma realised she had consumed the peanut-based product, she and her mother decided to go to Temple Street Children's Hospital.

On the way there, her mother went into the Hamilton Long pharmacy on O'Connell St to request an emergency supply of EpiPen, an adrenalin shot used to treat people suffering from anaphylactic shock.

Mr Murphy, who was working in the pharmacy that night, denied Ms Sloan's request for an EpiPen as she did not have a prescription. It was originally claimed that Mr Murphy failed to adequately respond when he refused the request for an EpiPen.

Ronan Kennedy, barrister for Mr Murphy, submitted the successful application to have the case dismissed yesterday.

Throughout the case, there has been a conflict regarding whether Ms Sloan told Mr Murphy that the person who needed the EpiPen was her daughter.

Ms Sloan claimed she did so, but Mr Murphy has indicated, through his legal counsel, that he was not informed that the injection was for her daughter.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News