Dublin getaway car driver admits to helping burglar who 'terrified' OAP
A man has admitted his part in a burglary in which a 76-year-old householder was "terrified" to find an intruder in her house during the middle of the day.
Aaron Mansfield (20) drove the getaway car to and from the scene of the burglary while an accomplice went inside the house.
Judge David McHugh ordered a pre-sentence probation report on him at Blanchardstown District Court.
Mansfield pleaded guilty to burglary at The Crescent, Abbey Farm, Celbridge, on June 12 last year.
Detective Garda Paul Carney said the accused and an accomplice went to the address at 2.40pm.
Mansfield was driving the car and he dropped the accomplice off at the scene.
The victim disturbed the intruder and the accused drove him away in the car.
"It was a terrifying experience for the injured party, but the accused did not enter the house and she was appreciative that she was not made come to court," Det Gda Carney said.
The accused, of Kiltalown Grove, Tallaght, had not come to the attention of the gardai since the incident, his barrister Jennifer Jackson told the court.
Mansfield's only prior conviction was for driving without an NCT certificate, while the other man had a large number of convictions on his record, the court heard.
Ms Jackson said it was "highly unusual" for someone with one minor motoring conviction to "find themselves before the court pleading guilty to a charge of this kind".
Mansfield's girlfriend and aunt were both in court to support him.
Ms Jackson said a probation report would give "an insight into how Mr Mansfield ended up in this situation".
"It is a very serious matter and if your client is looking for more time I will grant that, but I would say that everything is on the table," Judge McHugh said.
He remanded the defendant on continuing bail.
The charge against Mansfield is under the Theft and Fraud Offences Act.