Drunken dad who drove on to bonfire had been bingeing
A drink-driver who drove a car recklessly on to a bonfire at Halloween had binged while he was on a "rare night out", a court heard.
Father-of-one Aaron Harrington (20) was over the alcohol limit when gardai stopped him as he left the bonfire.
He was banned from driving for two years when he appeared before Dublin District Court charged over the incident in the north of the city.
Harrington, of Coultry Drive, Ballymun, pleaded guilty to dangerous, drunk and un- insured driving.
The incident happened at Shangan Road, also in Ballymun, last October 31.
Sgt Niall Murphy said the accused drove from the Ballymun Road on to a bonfire at 11.25pm.
He got out and gardai saw him leave, Sgt Murphy continued.
Harrington was stopped, arrested and taken to Ballymun Garda Station where he tested over the alcohol limit, with a reading of 54mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath.
He failed to produce any driving documents.
The court heard the accused had a number of previous convictions for public order and other offences.
Harrington had left school after his Junior Certificate, was unemployed, living at home and was caring for his child, his lawyer said.
He had not come to adverse garda attention in recent years.
The accused had "no issues with drugs or alcohol" but had been binge-drinking on the night in question. "It was a rare night out for him," his lawyer said.
Harrington was very apologetic and regretted what happ-ened, his lawyer said.
He asked Judge Cormac Dunne not to impose an additional driving ban on him for the no-insurance charge.
Judge Dunne said he had to do this, but explained that the bans would run for the same period.
He disqualified Harrington from driving for two years on the drink-driving charge, with concurrent one-year bans on the dangerous driving and no insurance charges.
He was also fined €50, given two months to pay it and lesser related charges were taken into consideration.
Harrington did not address the court during the brief hearing.