Driver given 10-year ban but avoids prison
A YOUNG man who drove without insurance for a second time has been given a four-month suspended sentence and disqualified from driving for 10 years.
David Lawrence (20), of Gardiner's Hill, Balbriggan, pleaded guilty at Swords District Court to driving without insurance, no NCT and driving while holding a mobile phone at Bremore Court, Balbriggan on March 1 last year. He further pleaded guilty to failing to give information to gardai on February 9 last year.
Gda Kieran Moloney gave evidence that he stopped Lawrence who was driving a Ford Fiesta without insurance and using a mobile phone.
He said Lawrence has 21 previous convictions and has been disqualified from driving for two years since April for driving without insurance.
Gda Gavin McGee gave evidence that at around 10.15pm on February 9 last year he tried to stop a car that was being driven in a dangerous manner.
He said the driver got out of the car and ran away.
Gda McGee told the court that Lawrence was the registered owner of the car, but had told him he was not driving on the night. He failed to tell gardai who was driving.
Defence barrister Patrick Jackson said Lawrence is attending Le Youth Project and is making progress.
"He is doing well there and is attending a gym through the Le Cheile organisation," he said.
Judge Dermot Dempsey convicted and sentenced Lawrence to four months in prison which he suspended for two years. He convicted and fined him €100 for driving while holding a mobile phone and a further €100 for driving without an NCT.
He further ordered a probation report for July 27 to see if Lawrence is suitable to complete 240 hours of community service work in lieu of a three-month prison sentence for the offence of failing to give gardai information.