herald

Friday 9 December 2016

Drink-drive man fined, banned for two years

A MOTORIST who was caught drink-driving has been convicted and disqualified for two years
A MOTORIST who was caught drink-driving has been convicted and disqualified for two years

A MOTORIST who was caught drink-driving has been convicted and disqualified for two years.

William Stokes (29) was previously found guilty in his absence of the offence and appeared before Swords District Court to be sentenced.

Stokes, of Castleview Heights, Ashton Broc, Swords, who has 15 previous convictions, was also fined €400 for the offence which happened last December 19 at Castleview Avenue, Swords.

Gda Martin Fahy told the court that at around 1.15am he came across a silver Volkswagen people carrier being driven in an erratic manner and at speed.

He said he stopped directly behind the car and saw the passenger jump into the rear seat while the driver, who he saw was Stokes, moved to the passenger seat. He said Stokes' eyes were bloodshot and his speech slurred.

Stokes gave a breath sample of 50mg/100ml, over twice the legal limit.

His solicitor said the father-of-four cares for the children and his wife, who is ill, and was in the UK as his case was being heard.

"He made efforts to contact the gardai in relation to this," he said.

Judge Dermot Dempsey handed down the conviction and disqualification but fixed recognisances in the event of an appeal.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News