herald

Monday 25 September 2017

Boy saved from electrocution by his friend gets €22.5k

Caron Mahon, mum of Alex
Caron Mahon, mum of Alex

A schoolboy kicked a live electric wire out of his 10-year-old friend's hand when he saw he was being shocked, a court was told.

Mr Justice Raymond Groarke was not told who the hero of the hour was, but heard that Alex Mahon's friend had acted immediately.

Alex, now a 15-year-old student, received an electric shock in June 2011, when he pulled a live cable which was hanging loose outside a creche in the Old Court Shopping Centre, Killininny Road, Firhouse, Dublin.

He received a third degree burn to his left hand.

Yesterday in the Circuit Civil Court, he was awarded €22,500 damages against Discoveries Creche and Montessori School, developer Michael Whelan, of Maplewood Developments, and Tolmac Construction.

Unaware

Barrister Kieran Falvey told the court that Alex and two of his friends were walking past Discoveries when he noticed the cable hanging over a side entrance.

Mr Falvey said Alex had been unaware the wire was a live electric cable.

He pulled on it and got an electric shock, which threw him backwards and seriously burned his hand.

"One of Alex's friends saw what was happening and kicked the cable out of his hand," Mr Falvey said.

"The gardai were called and the ESB, after having been told of the accident, cut off the power supply to that part of the building."

Alex, through his mother Caron Mahon, sued all three defendants who, the boy's lawyers claimed, had failed to take any adequate steps to cover or isolate the electric cabling.

The judge was told that Alex's injuries had mostly resolved, apart from an itching sensation in his left hand.

Mr Falvey said Alex was still nervous and anxious around electricity.

He told the court that liability did not seem to be an issue and the defendants had made a €22,500 settlement offer, which he recommended and the judge approved.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News