herald

Saturday 20 December 2014

Airport man 'got shocks from 737 jet'

A DUBLIN Airport worker was injured after allegedly receiving two electric shocks when plugging a defective power cable into a Boeing 737, the High Court heard.

PATRICK Kemmy (39), of Park Boulevard, Tyrellstown, Blanchardstown, claims the Dublin Airport Authority and Servisair were negligent by allowing him to use unsafe equipment and by failing to provide him with a safe place of work.

Raining

He claims the cable he was plugging into the aircraft's power socket should have been properly protected against water, as it was raining at time and this caused the electric shocks.

The defendants deny the April 27, 2009 incident ever happened, saying if it had, he would have not lived to tell the tale.

Mr Kemmy, a married father of two, said he plugged the cable in and got a shock as he pressed a button but thought "you thick, you plugged it in wrong".

He tried a second time and got another bigger shock, but managed to pull the cable out.

An ambulance crew carried out an electrocardiography test and took him to hospital.

He spent 18 hours being monitored before he was discharged.

He began suffering tingling in his right arm, chest pain, shortness of breath, neck pain and headaches shortly afterwards.

The headaches and neck pain continue and he has missed work nine or 10 times as a result, he said.

Under cross-examination by Bernard McDonagh, he said he plugged the cable in a second time because after the first shock he was not thinking correctly.

Mr McDonagh said a shock would have killed him: "There would have been an explosion and he would have been absolutely incinerated."

The hearing continues.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Promoted articles

Opinion

Entertainment News