herald

Monday 25 September 2017

City residents and creche evacuated after suspected pipe bomb alert on estate

Gardai cordon off the area around Ashington Avenue as army bomb
disposal experts deal with the device
Gardai cordon off the area around Ashington Avenue as army bomb disposal experts deal with the device
Army bomb disposal experts deal with the device
Scene of a suspect Device discovered on Ashington Park, Ashtown

Thirty children were evacuated from a Dublin creche after a suspected pipe bomb was discovered within metres of the building.

The army bomb disposal unit arrived on the scene in yesterday morning when the alarm was raised by a resident at around 10.30am.

People living in and around Ashington Avenue were also evacuated from their homes.

Gardai put a cordon in place while the bomb disposal team carried out an assessment before making the suspect device "safe".

In the meantime, gardai knocked on doors around the immediate area, telling locals to move to the top of nearby roads in order to ensure their safety.

An employee at the nearby creche, described the incident as "scary" but said staff acted quickly to prevent any panic.

"They came knocking at the door and said to get all the kids out - so we went up to the top of the road and waited," she said.

All parents had to be contacted to come to collect their children from the creche, which was subsequently closed for the rest of the day.

"There was kind of panic [from the kids], they didn't know what was really going on," she added.

Another staff member said they had to act quickly once the gardai had alerted them.

"Some of the children had no shoes on, so we had to put their shoes on, their jackets on and carry some of them," she said.

"People off the road have said they drove over it [the suspect device] three and four times during the week, it's just been lying there, it was like something that fell out of a bin," she added.

Gangsters

Another nearby resident told the Herald that he arrived home straight away when he got word of the incident from one of his children.

"You see these things on the TV but it's very strange to happen in your area," he said.

"There's no gangsters or anything that we know of here," he added.

The scene was declared safe at 11.55am.

The device was removed to a secure military installation for further examination.

Material will be handed over to An Garda Siochana to assist with its investigations.

The drama was the latest in a spate of incidents in recent weeks that the bomb disposal unit has been called to in the capital.

Two such cases were attended to in Ballymun last week, while a 6kg Semtex bomb plot was foiled in the north inner city earlier this month.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News