herald

Sunday 25 September 2016

Car in crash that killed four 'not roadworthy' despite NCT

'Further investigation is needed into the collision that claimed four lives' - solicitor

A car which crashed last year killing a child and three women was not roadworthy, despite passing an NCT three months earlier, an inquest heard.

Further investigation is needed into the collision that claimed four lives, according to a solicitor for the driver's family.

Fanny Oraweme Akenbor (44) was driving the Nissan Almera car on the Dublin to Sligo N4 road at Portnashangan, near Mullingar, early on June 28 last year.

The car apparently veered across the road and was involved in a collision.

Ms Oraweme Akenbor, Queenent Amenaghawon Olige-esezobor (42), Patience Iteire-Jeeti (38) and her daughter Jessica (10) were all killed instantly.

Three months previously the vehicle had passed an NCT, an inquest was told in Mullingar.But the inquest was told a ball joint on the front wheel was loose and should have been removed and replaced.

The inquest recorded verdicts of accidental deaths.

The inquest heard that a loose ball joint was listed among defects after the vehicle failed a test in February 2014, but in March it was retested and passed.

Speaking afterwards solicitor Brendan Muldowney, who represented the driver's family, said: "There are questions that will have to be answered before I can reach any conclusion."

Asked about how the family were coping, he told RTÉ: "She was survived by twins, aged 12, and they are now without a mother. Their grandmother is here from Nigeria, and having difficulty in trying to get permanent asylum."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News