herald

Saturday 23 September 2017

Boy (14) lured delivery man into robbery

A 14-YEAR-OLD boy has admitted that he set up a food delivery man by luring him into a robbery and then attacking him with a hurley stick.

The teen pleaded guilty at the Children's Court yesterday to robbery and assault causing harm to the man, in the Bluebell area, in Dublin 12, on June 3.

Garda Robert Fitzharris told Judge Ann Ryan that the boy rang up a local fast-food takeaway delivery service.

The delivery man arrived at an address with a food order and was met by the boy. The teen demanded money and the food from him, and also called two friends to help in the robbery. The back window of the man's car was also smashed.

The victim handed over €10 but the boy " demanded more". The victim was struck with a hurley and then hit with it again when he refused to hand over the keys to his car.

The man was left with bruises on one of his legs and when met by Garda Fitzharris after the robbery he was "shaken and limping".

The court heard that while it was believed that two others were involved in the robbery, the boy took sole responsibility and claimed he had acted alone.

Gda Fitzharris agreed with Judge Ryan that the robbery was premeditated.

Defence solicitor Gareth Noble asked the court to note that the boy, who was accompanied to his case by his mother, was sorry and had written a letter of apology for the victim.

He said the teen is taking part in an educational programme and had no prior criminal convictions. He also asked the court that the teenager had been coping with a bereavement around the time of the attack.

Judge Ryan said that the robbery was "well and truly thought out" and given the premeditation involved, the teenager could also require a psychological assessment.

The teenager was remanded on continuing bail to appear again in March to allow time for a probation report to be prepared.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News