herald

Saturday 23 September 2017

Blaze hero Marcella (8) plucks little girls to safety

AN eight-year-old girl is being hailed a hero after saving her family's lives when an early-morning fire gutted their house.

The blaze, apparently caused by an electrical fault, struck the house in Kildare at around 7am last Thursday.

Declan Davis, his wife Margaret, and daughters Ellie (9), Marcella (8), and Tilly (15 months) were asleep in the house with the girls' cousin, Alyssa Whelan, when the blaze took hold.

And it was Marcella who managed to raise her sister and cousin from their beds and help get them out.

Two other two children who would normally be at the family home on Monasterevin Road, near Kilberry, were sleeping over at another friend's house at the time.







Alarm

"It was pitch black and even though it was around seven in the morning, I thought it was the middle of the night when I was woken up with the smoke alarm going off, and there was rain and a howling wind outside," Declan said.

"Marcella actually helped the other two girls to get out the window. She was really great."

Members of the fire brigade who attended the scene praised Marcella's speed and courage in getting her sister and cousin out of the house. "There may be a little presentation to her in the future," Declan said.

Now Declan and Margaret are coming to terms with losing everything they owned and are staying with friends and relatives as they try to piece their lives back together.

"Everything has gone. I got out wearing a tracksuit and a pair of runners and the children were just in their pyjamas. Everything else went," said Declan.

cfeehan@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News