ANGER: Householders furious as new bin regime gets off to terrible start - leaving rubbish in streets
IT WAS the first day on the job - and things couldn't have gone any worse for Dublin's new private bin operator.
HOUSEHOLDERS are furious and say that Greyhound Recycling and Recovery failed to tell them the new bin collection schedule.
Our pictures show bin bags strewn across pavements and roadsides in Dublin's East Wall -- with local councillors blaming the company for "leaving residents in limbo".
Greyhound officially assumed control of the bin service yesterday after almost 150 years of Dublin City Council control.
But angry residents contacted the Herald yesterday claiming that they did not receive notification from Greyhound that their bins would not be collected until later in the week.
And dozens more flooded the council phone line and RTE's Liveline, to vent their anger at the company's decision to impose a €100 upfront charge.
Residents in East Wall and other parts of the city claimed that they put out their bins for collection yesterday but they were not picked up.
Independent Councillor Cieran Perry told the Herald: "Residents have been left in limbo.
"Not only has the company given four weeks' notice to pay a €100 charge -- one which people can't afford -- they failed to carry out their duties properly on their first day."
Greyhound recycling and recovery told the Herald today however that it was "Dublin City Council's fault" that the bins were not collected.
A spokesperson said "This was Dublin City Council's hangover. These bins in the likes of East Wall should have been collected by them. However we made to make that right last night and will continue to do that today.
"Greyhound included a new collection calendar for 2012 in the information pack sent to customers. Customers can also visit www.greyhound.ie where they can type in their address to view or download a PDF of their collection calendar."
Meanwhile, the city's former bin men must wait until Friday to find out what area of work they will be deployed to following the sale of the service.
Some 110 bin men do not know what part of the city they will be working in or the nature of the work they will be doing.
Senior sources in the council today the Herald that the men will find it "very difficult" to transfer to a different area of work following years collecting the city's bins.
"They are gutted to be leaving a job they love," said a source.
There were emotional scenes at the council's depot in Glasnevin last week where the workers spoke of "the end of an era".
Phillip Gough -- who has collected bins for 15 years -- told the Herald that collecting the bins was "in his blood".
"The binmen were there when most of the city slept. We were part of Dublin during the rare auld times."