herald

Wednesday 28 September 2016

Ballymount blaze battled by fire crew for over ten hours

emergency

Dublin Fire Brigade fighting a blaze at the scene of a large fire in Ballymount
Dublin Fire Brigade fighting a blaze at the scene of a large fire in Ballymount
Dublin Fire Brigade fighting a blaze at the scene of a large fire in Ballymount
Dublin Fire Brigade fighting a blaze at the scene of a large fire in Ballymount

A young Walkinstown couple who had placed the entire contents of their home at a storage facility during a move have been left with nothing following a blaze at an industrial estate.

Emergency services were battling for over 10 hours in Ballymount as they struggled to control the fire that broke out in a storage unit.

Plumes of acrid smoke could be seen from the M50 emanating from the industrial estate.

READ MORE: Fire brigade battles blaze at industrial estate

The fire is believed to have started at Store It, a storage facility which caters for businesses and households.

A young couple, who recently sold their house and were in the process of buying another, have lost all of their personal belongings.

Local councillor Daithi de Roiste has said the couple were "absolutely devastated".

"It's as if their house has burnt to the ground, everything they owned and cherished was in that unit," he said.

A spokesperson for Dublin fire service said that 10 units were called out to the scene at 10.15am, including two aerial units.

Around 50 firefighters battled the blaze. There were no confirmed casualties as a result of the fire.

"Workers in the adjacent buildings were evacuated promptly," a spokesman added.

Fire brigade personnel are confident that no toxic materials burned in the inferno and the smoke released should not pose a significant health risk to people in the area.

Members of Store It were unavailable for comment.

Fire crews told the Herald that a changeable wind made it difficult to contain the fire.

It is the third significant fire in the industrial estate in less than 15 months.

In January 2014, a fire at the Oxigen recycling facility took three days to extinguish. Another fire was started in a carpet centre nearby in the same week.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News