herald

Thursday 21 September 2017

After sea wall storm, €14m Clontarf prom plan given go-ahead

THE go-ahead has been given for a new €14m flood defence scheme in Clontarf.

Dublin City Council has been granted permission for the project, which would see a 1.9km cycleway being installed from Wooden Bridge to Causeway Road at Dollymount.

The scheme is a separate proposal from the controversial plan to build a series of mounds and walls along Clontarf promenade. While An Bord Pleanala gave the green light for the cycleway and flood defence project, it is unclear whether the money is available.



surges

The board said the project would provide flood defences but would not affect wildlife or sea views. The aim of the scheme is to link up existing coastal promenades and cycleways to create a 22km continuous route around Dublin Bay between Sutton and Sandycove.

When the Dollymount section is completed, cyclists will be able to travel the 12km from Sutton to East Wall on a dedicated route. After being initially unveiled in 2002, the project has repeatedly stalled.

"A key feature of the project is the requirement to incorporate flood protection to deal with flood risks arising from rising sea levels and surges. These risks have been identified by the Dublin Coastal Flooding Risk Assessment Study," city engineer Adrian Conway noted in a previous report.

Areas of special conservation and natural heritage had been highlighted as significant features to be considered by the design company. When completed, Dublin will have the longest urban seafront promenade in Europe.

The S2S (Sutton to Sandycove) project grew out of the Dun Laoghaire Coastal Plan, which includes provision for a seafront walkway.







CYCLEWAY

But the scheme would extend the route right around the bay, incorporating a cycleway running alongside the promenade

It would also extend right into the heart of the city along the north and south quays.

The plan was championed by voluntary group S2S. They said it had the potential to be "the most used public amenity in the city".

Clontarf families were up in arms over plans for a flood barrier between the Wooden Bridge and Alfie Byrne Road, which would have been 2m high in places.

That is now on hold.

comurphy@hnews.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News