herald

Tuesday 17 October 2017

a HOMELESS man has been charged under the Public Order Act arising out of an incident on Dublin's Henry Street last week in which his arrest was filmed and went viral on the internet.

a HOMELESS man has been charged under the Public Order Act arising out of an incident on Dublin's Henry Street last week in which his arrest was filmed and went viral on the internet.

Polish national Krzysztof Podgorzec (35), who is of no fixed abode, appeared at Dublin District Court yesterday.

He faces two charges in connection with an alleged incident on March 13 - being intoxicated to such an extent in public that he was a danger to himself and others, and breach of the peace by engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour.

Both are summary-only offences that are dealt with at district court level.

On conviction, the first charge carries a fine while the second can result in a three-month sentence as well as a monetary penalty.

A court garda furnished the court with details of the arrest. Defence solicitor Stephen O'Mahony, of Cahir O'Higgins & Co, told Judge Michael Coghlan that a long remand period was sought.

The defence said it was a matter that involved a possible complaint to the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission.

The solicitor asked to be furnished with disclosure of prosecution evidence to include any CCTV footage.

The prosecution said there was no CCTV evidence but Mr O'Mahony said that as the location that features in the allegation was Henry Street, there should be some video footage.

statement

A video of the alleged incident was posted on the internet and has gone viral with the clip appearing to show an officer arresting a man lying in a doorway under a sleeping bag.

GSOC have confirmed that they will open an investigation.

In a statement GSOC said they considered an investigation to be desirable in the public interest as a result of the level of public disquiet generated by this incident.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News