herald

Tuesday 17 October 2017

A 15-YEAR-OLD shoplifter has been detained for three months.

A 15-YEAR-OLD shoplifter has been detained for three months.

The boy pleaded guilty to theft and public order charges and Judge John O'Connor noted a negative probation report on the teen had been furnished to the Dublin Children's Court.

The court heard the out-of-school boy, who was accompanied to his case by his mother, had repeatedly failed to engage or co-operate with the Probation Service which has been trying to divert him from offending.

The boy had also failed to turn up to court on earlier hearing dates, it was also noted.

The boy admitted stealing groceries, including sweets and cans of air freshener, from south inner city shops during five theft incidents from May 2013 until May last year. He also admitted being intoxicated to such an extent he was a danger to himself and others on a date last April.

He also has new theft charges including an allegation he robbed a man of a mobile phone earlier this month. These matters will be before the court again next month.

At one of the early stages in the case, last July, the teen's mother had told court: "He's walking around with people who think they are in gangland," she had said, adding, "he's becoming a little gangster".

Promoted articles

Entertainment News