€3.5m revamp of Richmond Barracks gets green light
A NEW exhibition centre and archive will be opened at the site of the former Richmond/Keogh Barracks in Inchicore under plans that have been given the go ahead.
The barracks has strong links to the 1916 Rising, as it was where the seven signatories of the proclamation were held before being brought to the nearby Kilmainham Gaol to be executed.
Other notable people held at the barracks include Eamon deValera and Michael Collins.
It is envisaged the new attraction will complete a tourism triangle in the Dublin 8 area, alongside Kilmainham Goal and the War Memorial Gardens.
Under plans presented to a recent meeting of Dublin City Council, classrooms and a gymnasium at St Michael's CBS - which was built on the historically significant site - will be redeveloped into the exhibition centre.
A new glazed single-story link will be built between both buildings.
There will also be a glazed conservatory added to the classroom building.
The visitor's centre will have a tearoom and space that could be used for educational or community purposes.
Gardens will also be landscaped at the site.
A walled kitchen garden is proposed, including a greenhouse and potting sheds.
Works will allow for the conservation of the surviving remains of the barracks buildings, according to city planners.
Footpaths around the buildings will also be improved.
Funding for the project was allocated by the Government as one of several commemorative projects nationally.
A budget of €3.5m was handed over to complete the project.
A steering committee was established to spearhead the project last October.
Local councillors welcomed the news and called for further investment in the area.