Sowing those wild oats
454g (1lb) minced beef, lamb or pork
100g (4oz) Pinhead oatmeal or jumbo oats
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (parsley/thyme/basil)
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F/Gas mark 3.
2. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Transfer to a greased or lined 2lb loaf tin, cover with parchment paper and bake for approx 40 minutes.
4. After 40 minutes, remove the parchment paper and bake for a further 15 minutes, lowering the heat to 150°C/300°F/Gas mark 2.
5. To ensure the loaf is cooked through, pierce it with a skewer and check that the juices run clear. Serve hot with fresh garden vegetables and potatoes, or cold with a side salad.