225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
For the syrup:
Juice of 1½ lemons
85g caster sugar
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with baking paper.
2. Cut the butter into cubes and place in a large bowl. Add the sugar. Use an electric whisk to beat until smooth. Gradually add eggs, one at a time.
3. Sift in the self-raising flour. Grate in the zest of the lemon and use a metal spoon to gently fold together. Bake for 45-50 mins.
5. Mix the lemon juice and sugar in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Add the sprigs of fresh thyme to this syrup and set aside.
6. When baked, remove and allow to cool, then use a skewer to prick the cake all over and cover with lemon and thyme drizzle.
7. Top with fresh thyme and some thinly sliced lemon peel.