450g/1lb plain flour
A few sage leaves, chopped
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp bread soda
1 tsp salt and twist of freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
225g/8oz farmhouse blue cheese, eg Cashel Blue
300ml/1/2 pint yoghurt or buttermilk
1 egg, whisked with a dash of milk for glaze
Mixed sesame seeds for sprinkling on top of scones
1. Preheat the oven to 210⁰C/Gas 7. Mix the flour, sage, cream of tartar, bread soda, salt and pepper, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
2. Crumble the cheese into small pieces and add to the dry ingredients with the egg and yoghurt. Mix to a soft dough.
3. Turn out onto a floured surface. Pat or roll out to about 2.5cm/1-inch thick and cut into scones with a floured 6cm/21/2 inch scone cutter. Place on a greased baking tray. Brush with the whisked egg mixture and sprinkle with mixed sesame seeds.
4. Place in oven at 210⁰C/Gas 7 for 10 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 180⁰C/Gas 4 for 5-10 minutes.
5. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with soup or simply as a snack topped with artisan chutney.