DAVID Gillick's RECIPE OF THE WEEK: Cauliflower & Broccoli Gratin
1 broccoli crown, cut into 1-inch florets
Half cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons of flour
Half a teaspoon of salt
1 pinch of black pepper
500ml low-fat milk
135g porridge oats (not jumbo)
50g grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Place the broccoli and cauliflower in a large bowl. Mix in one tablespoon of oil until they are well coated.
2. Divide the mix on two baking trays in even layers. Roast the veg until tender and beginning to brown - usually about 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat (180-200°C). Add the onion and cook until it turns soft and golden brown (5-8 mins). Stir throughout, add the flour, salt and pepper and cook for one more minute.
4. Add the milk, continue to stir. Cook until sauce bubbles and thickens enough to coat back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
5. Preheat the grill, put half the vegetables in a baking dish. Spread half the sauce over them, add the remaining veg and top with remaining sauce. Combine the oats and cheese with the remaining oil and spread over the veg mixture. Grill until the gratin is bubbling and beginning to brown. Remove, cool and enjoy.