Friday 21 October 2016

Ray D'Arcy: We're not reinventing the wheel for new chat show

Ray D'Arcy
Ray D'Arcy

Ray D'Arcy has finally opened up about the format of his upcoming Saturday night show.

Ray will be taking over the slot previously occupied by Brendan O'Connor's Saturday Night Show.

For months it was rumoured that the broadcaster would be fronting an Ant and Dec-style Saturday Night Takeaway, but 50-year-old has said it will be a standard offering.

"It's going to be a chat show. We're not going to reinvent the wheel," he said.

Ray sensationally left Today FM after 15 years at the station and says the main reason he returned to RTE in February was because of his age. He said he feels RTE Radio 1 is a station he can "grow old with".

"I'm 50 and if you're trying to reflect your audience and how they feel and where they are in their lives, that's very age specific," he said.


"Because you run out of road.You can't contrive that, you can't make it up, or definitely I can't."

He also feels that he was brought into Radio 1 to help update the station's more "scripted" approach to broadcasting.

"I'd say part of the reason we were brought in is to change the tone slightly," he told the Sunday Times.

"Like the first day we were on air, a guy came up to me and said, 'Loved the intro, who wrote it for you?' and I was like 'What?'

"It was scary someone who worked in radio would ask me that question."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News