Pat Kenny: I don't know why RTE pulled Brendan O'Connor's TV show
Pat Kenny’s new show is set to air on UTV Ireland later this month – and he says he’s ready for the competition.
It was announced last month that Ray D’Arcy would be taking over Brendan O’Connor’s Saturday night slot and that Joe Duffy would be bringing Liveline to the small screen, but Kenny isn’t worried.
“Bring on the competition. We’re nearly ready to record. I will have three shows in the can before we go to air,” he told the Herald.
“The set has been designed – it will be in the round room of the Mansion House, which is historic. It will be an evolving show.
“We only have a few before the summer and then as we get into the winter we’re getting close to election time. Before the summer it won’t be political.”
While it has not yet been revealed which day his show will be airing, Kenny doesn’t want to go up against Ryan Tubridy on Friday nights.
“There’s no decision yet. I don’t mind when it goes out. Obviously I don’t want to be up against the Late Late Show,” he said.
“There’s room for everybody. My show is evolutionary, it will start and become something else. That is what always happens.
Kenny (67) added that he was shocked that D’Arcy was given O’Connor’s slot.
“I couldn’t understand because you don’t axe a successful show lightly,” he said.
“Talk shows are about really the ingenuity of how to present material that might not be that fresh in a fresh way.”