herald

Saturday 24 September 2016

Olly Murs and Caroline Flack 'beyond excited' to replace Dermot on the X Factor

Olly Murs and Caroline Flack
Olly Murs and Caroline Flack

Olly Murs and Caroline Flack are to present The X Factor following Dermot O’Leary’s departure after eight years, the show’s supremo Simon Cowell has confirmed.

The pair previously co-hosted ITV2 spin-off show The Xtra Factor for two years.

Cowell said: “I am absolutely delighted Caroline and Olly are both returning to The X Factor.

“When they were on Xtra together, they were a brilliant double act. Since then, Caroline’s gone from strength to strength – and Olly has become one of Britain’s biggest stars. So now I’m looking forward to them fronting the main show.”

Murs, whose chart career was launched after he was runner-up on the 2009 series, said he was “proud” to be coming back to the ITV show.

He said: “I love the show and it kick-started my career in music which has given me the opportunity to do what I love. I already have the best job in the world and it’s about to get better – I can’t wait to get started and be part of finding some amazing new talent.”

Flack, who won last year’s Strictly Come Dancing, said she was “beyond excited” about the news.

She said: “I’m also incredibly lucky to have the best tips and support from my showbiz big brother Dermot (above). I’m not sure how I can live up to his long-term residency but I know I can’t let him down.”

Cowell remained tight-lipped about the future of his close pal Louis Walsh.

Earlier this week Linda Martin said she is not convinced that Louis Walsh has really left his X Factor days behind him.

TALENT

The singer, who is a long-time friend of the music manager, said that she thinks he is not really gone from the show.

“I feel he is going back to X Factor, I just feel it,” she said.

The music mogul announced that he was done with the talent show after 12 years recently, but his best pal Linda doesn’t think the show will go on in his absence.

“I don’t think it’ll be X Factor without him,” Linda explained.

“You have to have that camaraderie, that friendship, the atmosphere and I think he is great because of his relationship with Simon Cowell.”

Since his shock departure from the show people have been speculating about the possibility of an Irish version of Britain’s Got Talent with Walsh at the helm.

Linda (67) said that she would accept an invitation to join the judging panel, if she was offered a place.

“I’d love to be one but I haven’t heard anything about it. Of course I’d love to do it, especially to work with him,” she told the Herald.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News