herald

Sunday 23 November 2014

New Frontiers: Kathyrn is tipped to be host of Winning streak

'NO FRONTIERS' presenter Kathyrn Thomas is being tipped to replace Derek Mooney on RTE's Winning Streak programme this September.

The broadcaster's golden girl is currently filming the 11th instalment of her globe-trotting series, which she has fronted for seven years -- but RTE sources say she is being lined-up to possibly step into Mooney's shoes.

The IFTA-winning presenter was this evening keeping tight-lipped when contacted about the reports that she's going to be taking over the National Lottery gameshow. "I don't have any comment on it at all," she said.

But she's not the only one. Paddy Power has installed Laura Woods as the favourite.

Laura has previously presented a National Lottery TV show.

While Kathryn is saying nothing now about her chances, in a previous interview with the Herald, the Carlow native hinted that the national broadcaster was hoping to move her on from her "travel presenter persona" and jump on board something different.

Even though she describes No Frontiers as her ultimate dream job, she revealed: "I want to get my teeth stuck into a new project and a new challenge and RTE want me to do something different and move on from being Kathryn Thomas, the travel presenter.

"I'm working on a different project with RTE which starts filming this summer which is in a developmental stage right now. This is basically a transition period for me. I've said I'll do the show for another year but after that, who knows?"

She continued: "I still love what I'm doing -- I still have that whole travel bug and what I do has become such a large part of my life. But where do you go from having the best job in the world?"

As well as making another instalment of the hit series, busy Kathryn has almost finished writing her first travel book.

RTE said they won't be making any comment on the new presenter until the station's media launch for its autumn schedule which will not be until next month.

Derek Mooney who has presented the programme for the past eight years has confirmed this week that he will not be presenting the show when it resumes filming for the new season.

Putting on a brave face to the surprise news, he said it was "not a big deal" and is looking forward to filming TV talent show Class Act.

One of RTE's highest-paid presenters, the broadcaster took home a tidy €242,408 in 2006.

Promoted articles

Promoted articles

Opinion

Entertainment News