'It's a long time since Ray D'Arcy has done successful TV so it's a gamble' - Pat Kenny
Broadcaster Pat Kenny has said the jury is still out on Ray D'Arcy as he hasn't hosted primetime television in years.
Pat, who previously presented Kenny Live before taking over the Late Late Show, was speaking as Brendan O'Connor lost his headline Saturday night slot of five years to make way for RTE's 'prodigal son', Ray.
"If Brendan was pushed out by RTE it is very strange because he was doing very well," Pat told the Herald. "But who knows what deal was made with Ray D'Arcy - maybe they had to push Brendan to make room for Ray.
"I just don't get why you would kill a successful show by Brendan in the hope that Ray would replicate that, because you just can't be sure," the Newstalk presenter continued.
"It's been a long time since Ray has done successful television so it's a gamble.
"But maybe the management in RTE feel that their job is to be innovative and try something else - that could be their agenda," he added.
D'Arcy (50) left RTE to helm his own radio show at Today FM in 2000, having spent 13 years presenting mainly children's TV programmes.
He had fronted the hugely successful Ray D'Arcy Show on weekday mornings on Today FM for 14 years and had been pulling more than 215,000 listeners when he decided to leave the station.
He has since taken over Derek Mooney's afternoon slot on RTE Radio 1, which he started presenting in February.
Rumours have been circulating for months that Ray would be getting his own TV show and the news that he is taking over Brendan's slot was confirmed this weekend.
It remains unclear what format Ray's show will take, but it is believed to be in the style of Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway and will start in the autumn.
RTE also announced that Brendan (45) will develop a new series this year which will air in a prime-time slot in early 2016.