herald

Thursday 17 August 2017

'I never wanted to make Mrs Brown's Boys into a TV show,' reveals Brendan O'Carroll

Brendan O'Carroll launching St. Patrick’s Festival 2015
Brendan O'Carroll launching St. Patrick’s Festival 2015

COMEDIAN Brendan O’Carroll revealed that he never wanted to make Mrs Brown’s Boys into a television series and that it took the BBC years to persuade him to do it.

The funnyman (59) admitted he made the broadcaster wait for five years before saying yes to making his popular stage show into a TV series.

The comic said that he was happy spending time with his family and didn’t want the extra workload that would come with filming the show.

“The BBC had been asking us for five years before we did the TV series and I hadn’t that much interest in doing one really,” he said. “We were fine, we had the life we wanted.

“We designed our life around Eric, my youngest boy, and his school year so we never worked when he was off.”

However, promises of extra time off eventually convinced the Dublin native to turn his hugely popular act into a BAFTA award-winning series.

“Eventually, Stephen McCrum [executive producer at BBC Comedy] talked me into it and said maybe if you do this you can work less and that was the basis on which we went into it.”

Regrets

The TV star, who is the Grand Marshal of today’s St Patrick’s Day Parade, added that he has no regrets about his decision, despite the long working hours.

The series has been key to Mrs Brown’s Boys international success, which now sells out live shows in Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

“Like anyone else in this business I’m just glad to be working,” he said.

“We’d never been to Australia before, we had no idea what it was like but to have a TV series go ahead of you makes such a difference – we had 325,000 tickets sold-out in four days,” he added.

Mr O’Carroll also revealed that a second Mrs Brown’s Boys movie is in the pipeline, as he plans to start writing a sequel to last year’s film soon.

The actor admitted writing another movie is part of his hectic schedule for the coming year, which also includes numerous tours.

“We’ve got a UK tour that we start the day after Paddy’s Day,” he told Pat Kenny on Newstalk Radio.

“We take a break then. We have six weeks off during which I have to write two Christmas specials and probably another movie. Then we’re off to do four more arenas and take a break to film the television series,” he said.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News