Niall Horan reassures One Direction fans: 'We are not splitting up'
One Direction’s Niall Horan has confirmed that the hugely successful boy band will take a “well-earned break” next year, but are not splitting up.
Former X Factor judge and pop impresario Louis Walsh has predicted great things for Horan, should he embark on a solo career.
The 21-year-old Mullingar native told his 23 million fans on Twitter that the group will continue to tour and play new music, after a reports emerged claiming the band will be taking a year-long break next year so that members can pursue separate interests.
“We are not splitting up, but we will be taking a well-earned break at some point next year,” he said.
“Don’t worry though, we still have lots we want to achieve!”
A Sony Music representative for the band declined to comment.
The band, now comprising Horan, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles, soared to international prominence after finishing third on the X Factor in 2010.
The break will come after the band, reduced to four members following the departure of Zayn Malik earlier this year, release their fifth album in March, according to reports.
“The guys have been together for five years, which is an incredible run for any boy band,” a source said.
“They fully deserve to have at least a year to work on their own projects. There is absolutely no bad blood between them and they are all 100pc behind the decision.”
After dates in Dublin, the group’s last scheduled stadium concert will be in Sheffield, England on October 31. They will promote their new album in February, after a Christmas break.
Meanwhile, Louis Walsh (above) has tipped Niall Horan for success in a solo career.
“I think Niall will get a record deal and he will be very successful,” Walsh said.
“I think he will surprise everybody.”
Walsh previously managed Boyzone and Westlife to chart success before the bands broke up.