herald

Thursday 8 December 2016

Niall Horan and One Direction to take a break and focus on solo projects

MUSIC

Teenage dreams were shattered and hearts broken last night after it emerged that boyband One Direction are planning to take "a break".

Mullingar's Niall Horan - along with Harry Styles, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson - are set to take a year out to focus on their own solo projects and will not tour with their fifth album.

It has been a testing few months for the four-piece after Zayn Malik sensationally quit the band in March. Soon afterwards, it emerged that Louis Tomlinson is to become a father following a brief relationship with Briana Jungwirth.

It is believed the band are simply no longer moving in "One Direction" and want to spend time focusing on their own personal and professional relationships and projects.

Several weeks ago, Liam revealed the group were desperately in need of some time out.

"You know, I think everyone needs a little bit of a break now and then to sit down and kind of take in all the great things that have happened," he said.

Millions of fans may still get the chance to see their heartthrobs as a string of TV spots and performances which are already pencilled in before the end of the year are still likely to go ahead.

It is believed the break and the decision not to tour was rubber-stamped in a meeting in London last weekend.

It means they could each take their money-spinning careers - already worth millions - on very different journeys in talks that could get under way within weeks.

Pop band manager Louis Walsh, who previously managed Boyzone and Westlife, said earlier this month that One Direction were on the way out.

Walsh He said One Direction have only one album left before they split.

Walsh said he, "knew One Direction wasn't going to last".

The band formed in 2010 when they appeared on The X Factor and will perform their final show before the year long hiatus in Sheffield on October 31.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News