U2 set to headline at Glasto next year, hints website
U2 are frontrunners to headline the Glastonbury Festival next summer -- after pulling out of this year's event.
An insider has confirmed that the chart-topping group are being lined up for the festival's main stage in June 2011, after organiser Michael Eavis revealed his intention to invite the band to play at the Somerset festival again.
Mr Eavis revealed last week that "the three biggest bands in the world" would be playing next year at the Somerset festival and a well-informed source told the Herald that one of these acts hailed from our part of the world.
U2 were forced to pull out from the event's lineup last June after lead singer Bono suffered a spine injury and underwent back surgery to save him from possible paralysis.
The four-piece band seemed keen to finally play at the largest open-air festival in the world, and they were not afraid to add fuel to speculations this weekend when they reminded fans that Glastonbury tickets were to go on sale.
"Glastonbury's Michael Eavis has said he'd like U2 to play in 2011 after they missed their slot at Worthy Farm this past June," said the website.
"Looking at the tour dates -- there is a gap in the band's schedule ahead of the East Lansing show on June 26 which would make the Friday night a possibility
"The most [U2 manager] Paul McGuinness would say was, 'We're certainly excited about our plans for next year. Watch this space!'"
The message contributed to the rush for tickets for the 2011 edition of the music event.