herald

Tuesday 21 October 2014

Melanie lined up for Eurovision bid after X Factor heartache

DESPITE her X Factor heartbreak, Dublin schoolgirl Melanie McCabe (19) might be going to a public vote.

The Whitehall teen never got as far as a public vote in X Factor -- but she might fare better in the Eurovision song contest.

The Leaving Cert student confirmed to the Herald that she is in talks to take part in the contest -- but nothing is confirmed yet.

The Dublin singer was remaining tight-lipped about the venture, but confirmed to the Herald that talks have taken place.

And Melanie is hoping for good news this time around following her three attempts at X Factor fame.

"There have been talks but nothing has been confirmed so it's just speculation at the moment," Melanie told the Herald.

The schoolgirl was left heartbroken after she failed to make the live shows on this year's series -- and has vowed to never audition for the show again.

The talks come amid reports that the teenager has been signed up by Today FM mentor Mairead Farrell to compete for the chance to represent Ireland in Sweden next year.

"Melanie has a great voice and the competition would be perfect for her," a source has said.

Melanie had been due to join Jedward at last year's Eurovision as one of their backing singers but had to pull out due to a throat infection.

The selected acts will be announced in the New Year before performing on the Late Late show special on February 22.

The winner will be decided by a combination of public vote and regional jury.

hnews@herald.ie

Opinion

Entertainment News