herald

Tuesday 27 September 2016

Jeremy Clarkson's final Top Gear scenes to be broadcast

television

Jeremy Clarkson
Jeremy Clarkson

Jeremy Clarkson's final scenes in Top Gear will be screened later this year, the boss of BBC2 has said.

Kim Shillinglaw said she was not thinking of his replacement "in terms of gender".

She added that the scenes filmed before Clarkson was suspended for his attack on colleague Oisin Tymon were likely to air this summer.

"They simply weren't able to shoot enough material. No way would I want the available material not to be seen by viewers," she said.

Asked about drafting in a woman to replace Clarkson, Shillinglaw said: "I worked a lot with female presenters and when I worked in science that was something across the piste that I really wanted to tackle.

"I don't think I've ever approached an individual show thinking that was the way I want to cast it, so I think it's an open book on that.

"We'll look at some women, but it's not a driving priority."

Clarkson was suspended by the BBC last month when he became the subject of an internal investigation after he attacked Top Gear's Irish producer Tymon, splitting his lip and verbally abusing him.

The presenter's contract was not renewed, with director-general Tony Hall saying "a line has been crossed"' and "there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another''.

But the broadcasting veteran received widespread public support, including from his friend David Cameron.

Earlier this month, North Yorkshire Police said that following an investigation Clarkson would face no further action over the attack.

Clarkson is already thinking about his next TV project.

"I have lost my baby but I shall create another," he wrote in his Sunday Times column.

"I don't know who the other parent will be or what the baby will look like, but I cannot sit around any more organising my photo album.''

Clarkson also said he was told he "probably'' had cancer, two days before the "fracas'' with Tymon, though he has since been given the all-clear.

He said he considered turning his back on presenting altogether in the immediate fallout from the incident.

"Let's stop being silly and pick up the pieces and start again. I just know I'm going to do another car show,'' he wrote.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News