herald

Monday 23 October 2017

Hector goes... to the UK? Star talks with TV stations

He may be missing his slot on the airwaves but Hector O hEochagain could make a big comeback on screen - as he's been approached by broadcasters overseas.

The gaelgoir's popular weekday breakfast show was axed by 2FM's station head Dan Healy last December in a major shake up, and now the Galway-based host has revealed offers have come in from the UK for his TV expertise.

There are producers keen on his Hector Goes series, which sees him tour the country to investigate key areas of Irish life.

decision

Hector told the Diary that he's been savouring spending time with his family while he's without a radio post and that he's currently weighing up his options.

"I can't say anything about radio, but the TV programme Hector Goes proved to be very popular and there has been a bit of interest from broadcasters in the UK about it, so we'll see where that goes," he said.

"Right now I'm just enjoying taking the kids to school and sleeping in until eight o'clock instead of rising at five."

While it appears the Navan native has moved on from the disappointing episode with 2FM last year, he admitted to still pining after his "soldiers at the dawn".

"The show was very successful and a guy came in and made the decision," he said.

And Hector claimed he has yet to listen in to his 2FM successors, Jennifer Maguire, Bernard O'Shea and Keith Walsh.

"It wasn't my decision to leave, Dan certainly disappointed a lot of people who listened to the show," he said.

"It's onwards and upwards because you just have to move on with things.

"I don't listen to the new show," he added.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News