Jackson father's legal bid rejected
A California court has rejected a bid by Michael Jackson's father to challenge the administration of his son's lucrative estate.
A three-justice panel of the California Second District Court of Appeal unanimously backed a probate judge's ruling that Joe Jackson did not have standing to intervene in his son's estate.
Despite being excluded from his son's 2002 will, Mr Jackson had been seeking to have some control over financial affairs.
Lawyer Brian Oxman, who represents Mr Jackson, said he would ask the court to reconsider and might appeal to the California Supreme Court.
He insisted Mr Jackson should have some say in post-death affairs involving his son. "This is not right," Mr Oxman said of the ruling.
Howard Weitzman, who represents the estate, said he was pleased the court affirmed the pop star's decision before he died to make lawyer John Branca and music executive and family friend John McClain the executors of his will.
"We hope this decision finally puts this issue to rest," Mr Weitzman said.
The appeal court heard arguments in the estate case on October 6 and questioned several steps taken by Joe Jackson in the case, including withdrawing his request for a monthly stipend.
The panel also questioned why Mr Oxman did not mention during a lengthy hearing in November that he might file a wrongful death lawsuit. Last June, Joe Jackson sued Dr Conrad Murray, the doctor who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in Michael Jackson's death.
Michael Jackson's estate has earned tens of millions of dollars since the singer's death at 50 in June 2009.
© Press Association