herald

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Jackson doctor escapes damages claim from family

PROSECUTORS will not seek restitution against the doctor convicted of killing Michael Jackson after conferring with the singer's parents and lawyers for his estate and children.

The request for payments from Conrad Murray was withdrawn during a brief court hearing, just days before a judge was due to consider how much the former cardiologist should pay to members of Jackson's family or his estate.

Deputy district attorney David Walgren told the judge handling the case that he was withdrawing the restitution request after speaking with Jackson's mother Katherine, and lawyer for his father Joseph.

Mr Walgren also consulted a lawyer for the singer's estate and a court-appointed lawyer representing the interests of Jackson's three children, a transcript of the proceedings shows.

Murray remains in jail after being convicted in November of involuntary manslaughter. He was sentenced to serve four years, but his term will be halved due to overcrowding and California's budget crunch. Jackson's estate estimated the singer would have earned at least $100m (¤77.8m) if he had performed his This Is It concerts planned for London's O2 arena. Murray might have also been found liable for Jackson's funeral expenses, which totalled more than $1.8m (¤1.4m).

Murray's lawyers said he had nowhere near the money to pay either amount and he filed paperwork last month indicating he was indigent.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News